March 10, 2015

A Quick Trip Up North...

A few weeks ago we ventured up to Concord to visit some fam. MAAAAN. There's just something about the bay area, ya know? The weather is perfection! I know southern California is supposed to be where it's at, but the heat waves down here remind me of a certain place where the catci grow rampant and the summers are terrible *cough Arizona cough*...so I guess I'm in love with the bay area more.

We explored a little area called Walnut Creek the evening we got there, and went to bed relatively early. I say "early" meaning everyone was in bed with their jammies on by 830pm, but I didn't fall asleep until James did about 11:30pm. WHY DO TODDLERS HATE SLEEP WHEN THEY'RE ON VACATION?? Ok ok, I know it's a new place, they're excited, they're not in their routine-but seriously--he didn't fall asleep until 3 hours after his head hit the pillow. Sigh.

So day 2 was a little rough since he didn't sleep much, but it was a great day! We explored Fisherman's Wharf, took them to Pier 39 to see the sea lions, which Henry LOVED.






We also ventured into the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, which was really well done! I was half expecting it to be lame, you know the kind of museums with white out on the descriptions/labels, but it was clean and the displays were top notch! Here's a blurry snap of James "swimming"...



Then we walked over to Ghirardelli square, but it was under construction so we had to settle for the awesome view below in another Ghirardelli shop. Here are some photos that James took near there...





Finally, we ended our day at The Walt Disney Family Museum located in the Presidio...

For 218 years, the Presidio served as an army post for three nations. World and local events, from military campaigns to World Fairs and earthquakes, left their mark. Come enjoy the history and the natural beauty of the Presidio. Explore centuries of architecture. Reflect in a national cemetery. Walk along an historic airfield, through forests or to beaches, and admire spectacular vistas. -NPS Website








This was our second time at the museum, the first time we rushed through in about an hour because we went near closing time. Now, I have to admit something, I am not a one hour museum type person, and I'm sort of a snob when it comes to the displays (see paragraph above re: SF Maritime museum). And I am a "LET'S READ ALL OF THE THINGS TWICE!" type of a museum person. So we were there for a few hours. I gotta love my husband and children for being so patient with me since it was a beautiful cocktail of one of my favorite persons ever AND a fabulous museum! The nerd-O-meter was at a 10, I was on cloud 9, please use any and all metaphors pertaining to my level of Disney geekdom in this situation. Here are some snaps I took with my iPhone because Henry slept in the ergo and I couldn't use my Canon...


There's a diorama of all the attractions (past and present) that have been at Disneyland! 

Walt's fave foods!

He loved to collect miniatures!


Walt Disney receiving one statuette and seven miniature statuettes from Shirley Temple for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs- Oscars.org

I love this! Reminds me of Mitch and his box on his dresser filled with memories and loved treasures.

Henry and I sitting on one of the original Griffith park benches :)

BEST DAY EVER!


On our last day, we took a mini trip to Muir Woods, so Mitch could have his chance to nerd out. It was sooo beautiful, and the boys had fun too! Mitch did the ocean view hike while my mom and I walked around with the boys. Also, we SCORED the very first parking spot next to the visitor's center which was a total blessing, because NO PARKING ANYWHERE. I had to include that parking spot thing in this post because it was so wonderful we were all high-fiving each other, so that's how you know it made our day!

























Post hike gift from mom :)






James took this! 








Shout out to my momma---we had a great trip and really needed it! Thank you for loving us!!

No comments: